The safety and security of Toronto’s residents, companies, and buildings depend heavily on security guards. They defend lives and property, thwart criminal activities, and deal with crises. The need for competent security guards in Toronto is bigger than ever due to the city’s expanding population and rising safety and crime concerns. Being a security guard in Toronto might be a fantastic alternative if you’re interested in a career in the security industry. It is a vocation that is steady and expanding, provides chances for career progress, and allows you to have a beneficial effect on your neighborhood.
According to the Government of Canada’s Job Bank, the job outlook for security guards in Toronto is positive, with an expected job growth of 6% from 2019 to 2029. An increasing need for security services in various industries, such as retail, healthcare, transportation, and other service industries like banks, hotels, and other private and public sectors, drives this growth.
Qualifications and Requirements
To become a security guard in Toronto, you must meet certain qualifications and requirements. The first step is to ensure that you meet the legal requirements for becoming a security guard in the province of Ontario. This includes:
- 18 years of age or older
- Having completed high school or its equivalent
- Being capable of performing the tasks of a security guard both physically and psychologically. This includes having the strength to lift and carry heavy objects, the stamina to stand and walk for extended periods, and the ability to deal with pressure.
- Obtaining a clean criminal history. This is to check that you have no criminal convictions that would disqualify you from working as a security guard.
- English proficiency is required because it is the training courses’ and the workplace’s primary language of interaction.
Additionally, you will need to complete a training program and obtain a security guard license from the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services. The Ministry has set a standard curriculum that all training programs must follow, must be at least 40 hours in duration, and must be completed within six months of being hired as a security guard.
Training and Certification
Completing a basic security guard training course is the next stage of becoming a security guard in Toronto. These courses, which several private training facilities provide, address matters like the duties of a security guard, their legal rights and restrictions, emergency protocols, public relations, and other crucial areas pertinent to the position.
After finishing the training program, you must pass a test and submit an application for a security guard license to the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services. Security guards must fulfill continuing education requirements to know the most recent safety and security standards and practices. The license must be renewed every two years.
Once you have completed your training and obtained your security guard license, you can start looking for a job as a security guard in Toronto. Some places to look for job openings include:
- Private security companies: These companies provide security services to businesses, properties, and events in Toronto.
- Government agencies: Some government agencies, such as the Toronto Transit Commission, also employ security guards.
- Job postings: You can also look for job postings on online job boards and in local newspapers.
When looking for a job as a security guard, you should have a professional CV and cover letter and be prepared for job interviews. You may also stand out as a candidate to potential employers if you have relevant expertise, such military or law enforcement background. As it may help you stand out as a candidate, remember to list any additional credentials or training you’ve obtained in your resume.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
As a security guard in Toronto, you will be responsible for the safety and security of the people and property in your assigned area. This may include:
- Monitoring and patrolling the premises to ensure the safety of people and property
- Responding to emergencies and alerting the appropriate authorities
- Writing reports and maintaining records of incidents and suspicious activity
- Communicating with the public and other security personnel to provide information and assistance
- Enforcing rules and regulations to maintain order
- Assisting with crowd control and event security
- Operating security equipment such as surveillance cameras and alarm systems
It’s crucial to be aware that a security guard’s job can be physically and psychologically taxing due to prolonged standing and walking as well as the possibility of stressful events. However, it is also a demanding and rewarding career that offers the chance to improve the community.
There are many opportunities for career advancement within the field of security in Toronto. Some ways to advance your career include:
- Obtaining additional certifications, such as first aid or crowd control, can increase your chances of getting promoted or getting higher-paying job opportunities.
- Taking on additional responsibilities, such as supervising other security guards or managing a security team, can lead to management or supervisory roles in the field.
- Moving into related fields, such as law enforcement or private investigations, can open up new opportunities and career paths.
According to the Government of Canada’s Job Bank, experienced security guards may also advance to positions such as security supervisors or managers. These roles typically require additional education or experience and may involve overseeing a team of security guards, developing security plans, coordinating security operations, and other management responsibilities.
A job as a security guard in Toronto may be gratifying and enjoyable. It’s a career worth considering since it offers a promising job outlook, growth opportunities, and the potential to make a difference in your community. You may begin your career as a security guard in Toronto by fulfilling the essential qualifications and standards, receiving the required training and certification, and securing work. Although the job requires physical and mental fortitude, it also provides prospects for advancement in the security industry. A job as a security guard in Toronto can be the best option for you if you’re ready for the challenge and love public safety.